Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Week 9, Thing 21

Podcast.net didn't really have anything for junior high history, but I did see several podcasts on book reviews that I will go back and listen to. At podcastalley I found a history clip of the week podcast which I added to my RSS reader. I found gabcast through yahoo's podcast search engine, and it had many podcasts on topics I teach-- something new to try with the students. I think a short podcast could help with their listening skills in addition to adding to their knowledge of history.

I noticed that a lot of podcasts were weekly. The ones I listened to were pretty well done; after years of listening to NPR, I really enjoy a good audio broadcast.

It would be interesting to have the students do oral histories as podcasts. So often they tell me things that older relatives have said about topic areas. I would love to collect their recollections and put them beside what the students have learned from their text and other resources.

1 comment:

mugwumplibrary2 said...

Creating podcasts to record oral histories is a great idea. Did you add it to the Classroom 2.0 curriculum wiki? I think this is a project that could involve many of the Social Studies teachers on campus.
I hope to run a "How to Make Podcasts" workshop on campus. The Library will soon have many of the necessary tools uploaded on the student computers.