Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Week 6, Thing 15

The perspectives on Library 2.o were interesting. As an instructor in a small private school, I realize that my school's library is very different from larger schools', universities' and public libraries. Yet, we are still faced with some of the same questions, such as meeting the needs of students in an ever-increasing digital age. I think it will become the librarian's role at least to some degree to ensure that the students know how to use the new technology and how to have that technology enhance the use of the library's print resources. I also believe it can be a role shared by the librarian and the classroom teacher. Teaching seventh graders recently how to use search engines to find current event articles on Africa reminded me of teaching seventh graders YEARS ago how to find articles on topics in our classroom set of encyclopedias. I do think that classroom teachers who assign research have to be willing to do at least part of the job of showing students how to use the research tools available, whether print, digital, or both. It's for this reason, among others, that I am glad I am taking this course. My job, like any other educators, has to evolve with the trends in technology and learning.

1 comment:

mugwumplibrary2 said...

Collaboration is the key. I'm always interested in finding out how the library resources (both materials and personnel) can help further the instruction and learning in the classrooms. It's also great when that collaboration involves teaching the students how to evaluate the information they discover, regardless of the medium (print, online, etc.).